Sunday, September 4, 2011

One Month "Anniversary"

It's been exactly a month since I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. So far, things are ... okay. My vision has cleared up, my blood sugar is somewhat stable and I'm definitely feeling a lot better.

On the other hand, I still have a lot of weight to lose, which can be frustrating -- especially because I now feel like I'm going against the clock. I know that losing weight will make it easier for me to control my diabetes in the long run, but I'm 37 years old and my already sucky metabolism is slowing down. I just hope that I can improve my health more quickly than the disease progresses.

Today, for the first time in a month, I was really craving sugar. Perhaps the little bit of sugar I had yesterday did it? It really is an addiction. I managed to beat the cravings by having sweet, but not sugary things. I had some orange herbal tea and a plum ... and one Andes mint that they gave us with the check in the restaurant. After that, I was alright. Still, it surprised me that I was suddenly wanting the sweet after going for a month without.

I'm wondering if I can satisfy my sweet tooth by having sweets in other ways. I'm going to do a little experiment and buy some chocolate and vanilla bath soaps and see if bathing in sweetness -- but not eating it -- will work for me. I mean, if I can't really enjoy the luxury of having a cupcake with swirls of chocolate icing, I might as well pamper myself with it, right? I'll let you know if this turns out successful .... or if I end up eating the soap.

All told, though, I'm proud of how I've done this past month. I've taken all my meds and have stuck to my eating plan about 98 percent of the time. Now I just have to do this next month ... and the month after and the month after that, and so on. I really want to make it to 40 and still have a good quality of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment