Friday, August 19, 2011

Taking Advantage Of A Bad Situation

While I'm certainly not happy to have diabetes, I figure that as long as I am dealing with, I can milk it for all it's worth.

The other day, my husband and I went out to eat at our favorite Tex-Mex restaurant. I ordered the veggie fajitas (skipping the tortillas), which comes with chips and dip. When I asked if I could get a garden salad instead, the waiter apologized and said that they can't make that substitute. I explained that I'm diabetic and that I was willing to pay extra for the salad ... and he ended up giving it to me for free. Thanks, Diabetes!

Also recently, I hailed an off-duty cab in the city when I was going back to my office after a doctor's appointment. The driver said he couldn't take me downtown, but when I made a big deal about how I was sick, he gave in and took me.

I normally don't believe in using a weakness to get ahead. I try not to cry in public because I don't want people feeling sorry for me, and when I was briefly in a wheelchair from my broken leg, I didn't want anyone to go out of his or her way. Still, it was nice to find that there is at least a little bit of a silver lining in having this disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment