Sunday, August 21, 2011

Diabetes Police

My parents are having a difficult time with my diagnosis, mainly because they don't know a whole lot about diabetes.

My dad gave me an "I told you so" lecture about my weight. Yes, he actually said, "I told you so." I don't expect to be coddled or lied to or pitied -- I know the risks that come with having this disease -- but I'd like to be treated with respect, as well. I mean, I already have the fucking disease, so haven't I learned my "lesson?" Jeez.

My in-laws are much cooler about the whole thing, probably because I'm not their bio daughter and they didn't know me as a little kid. They've been very supportive and encouraging. They're philosophy is, "It is what it is; we can't turn back the clock and change things, let's deal with it."

Meanwhile, my mom thinks that every food is off-limits. Every time I mention a food that I plan to eat or ate, she asks, "Are you allowed?" She's questioned me having eggs, lamb, hummus, beans, brown rice, onions, cheese ... she really doesn't have a clue. I'm wondering if I should print out a list and get a nutritionist's signature on it so she can stop.

I know they mean well and are just concerned, but I have to keep repeating that because they're being hella annoying. I'm not a parent, so I suppose that I might act the same way if my kid were diagnosed with diabetes. But I like to think that I'd be encouraging -- that I'd be the type to do some research so I can find good diabetic recipes and that I'd cheer my kid on as his or her blood sugar dropped. I would never, ever, ever say, "I told you so." Even without being a parent, I can guarantee this.

I know that I'm going to have to stand up for myself and make my needs clear, even if it means angering them. But this is my disease and my fight, and I can't let anyone make me more stressed than I already am.

4 comments:

  1. Naomi, Hi! Maybe you can remind yourself that your parents mean well (while you mutter under your breath LOL) and consider that they may be really freaked out & not know how to express that to you. Until you can find something for them to read, to educate themselves, try explaining to them that carbs go through your system fast, while protein & (good) fat go slow through your system. You may find that your diet needs to be weighted in favor of non-carby veggies, protein & good fat, with carbs making up a much smaller portion than they used to or than they show up on the typical charts. - Type 2 diabetic, diagnosed May 2006, non-insulin using, metformin, Byetta & lifestyle controlling (Not sure if you remember me or not.) Donna Bridges

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, I remember you. It's good to hear from someone else who's gone through her own diagnosis. I sent my parents some links, so that will hopefully help them understand a bit more. Right now, I'm eating pretty low carb. This week, my blood sugar has stayed a lot more steady so I finally feel like I'm getting into a groove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading and it seems like things are going fine! Your diagnosis BSG number was so high that it is scary, but you're having much better numbers now. Way to go! Do you know what your hbA1c was?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was over 13!!!!! Really bad! Don't know what it is now, but I imagine it's lower. My numbers are in a good place and I'm feeling so much healthier.

    ReplyDelete