Saturday, August 20, 2011

Highs And Lows

I've been officially diagnosed as a Type II diabetic for two weeks now, and I'm learning is that it's a constant balancing act. Sometimes my blood sugar can dip too low unexpectedly, and sometimes it will spike. I'm getting better at recognizing the warning signs and keeping it within an acceptable range, but I still haven't quite mastered this disease.

Take today, for example. We spent the night at my in-laws so I asked them to pick up some diabetes-friendly food for me. I began the day with my bs at a nice 97, then had a healthy breakfast of Cheerios, whole wheat toast and coffee. Lunch was a veggie burger, salad and low-fat yogurt. We then went downstairs to swim because it was such a gorgeous day. I did a few laps and treaded water for about a half hour, but didn't feel exhausted; I just felt relaxed. In fact, after I emerged from the pool to dry off, I ended up falling asleep in the lounge chair.

Once we were back inside, though, I suddenly felt dizzy. My whole body started shaking and I was afraid that I might pass out; this is when I realized that I was having a "low," that my little workout had lowered my bs enough so that I was feeling it. I had a snack of cheese and fruit and the lightheadedness soon went away. I'm just glad that this happened in my in-laws' home and not on the train back to the city.

I think that I'm doing well so far in managing my diabetes, but I know that mistakes will be made along the way. I'm sure that I'll eat foods that cause a significant spike or have another "low" moment. Still, my numbers seem to be stabilizing as there's less fluctuation between meals, and I'm definitely losing weight. My bathing suit top almost slipped off of me today, which is a good thing! I don't expect to be perfect in this fight, but I do want to be prepared as a can. Surviving this weekend has given me even more confidence.

2 comments:

  1. Many Type 2 diabetics find that they are more sensitive to carbs in the morning than other times of the day. So, if a carby breakfast like above seems to send you on that roller coaster of up & down, you could consider adding some protein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna,

    I probably do need to add protein. I'll try adding in some egg whites and see if that evens things out.

    ReplyDelete